Thursday, May 18, 2006

Psalm

So many cars have driven past me
without a head-on collision.
I started counting them today:
there were a hundred and nine
on the way to the grocery,
a hundred and two on the way back home.
I got my license
when I was seventeen.
I’ve driven across country
at least twelve times;
I even drive
late Saturday nights.
I shall not want.

--Marilyn Nelson

*

A Dream of Jealousy

Walking with you and another lady
In wooded parkland, the whispering grass
Ran its fingers through our guessing silence
And the trees opened into a shady
Unexpected clearing where we sat down.
I think the candour of the light dismayed us.
We talked about desire and being jealous,
Our conversation a loose single gown
Or a white picnic tablecloth spread out
Like a book of manners in the wilderness.
“Show me,” I said to our companion, “what
I have much coveted, your breast’s mauve star.”
And she consented. Oh, neither these verses
Nor my prudence, love, can heal your wounded stare.

--Seamus Heaney

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home