Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Dream

I dreamed this morning about some of the characters from the TV show M.A.S.H. Hawkeye and Trapper were in a Korean bar preparing a practical joke for Frank Burns when Margaret caught them red-handed. Hawkeye and Trapper realized quickly that they needed to smooth things over with Margaret, or she would get them into trouble. At this point a Korean waitress who was also a known prostitute gave Margaret her drink. Margaret was seated at her table and eyed Hawkeye and Trapper severely, obviously waiting for them to appease her somehow. Trapper responded by reaching into his pocket and pulling out all the money he had on him. He gave it to the waitress by stuffing it into an opening in her silk robe that exposed the flesh over her right hip in the kidney area. Hawkeye responded by cutting a deck of cards on Margaret’s table and turning over the card that was in the middle of the deck. The card was the 5 of diamonds.

After my alarm clock went off this morning, I found myself in that twilight state wondering the meaning of the 5 of diamonds card. I used to be into Tarot cards, so I was wondering what the corresponding 5 of pentacles in the Tarot deck means. I mistakenly believed while I was waking up that it had the positive meaning of the 3 of pentacles: success in artistic endeavors, being paid for your labor, the master craftsman. When I got out of bed I consulted one of my Tarot card books (for the Rider-Waite-Smith deck) and was dismayed to read that the 5 of pentacles is a negative card: dark night of the soul, being destitute, lovers who cannot find a meeting place.

I’m not a very superstitious person. I believe more in reason, science, and logic, but in my experience I have found that there is something to Tarot cards. They are a great language of symbols and contain a lot of wisdom. I’ve also found when I used to do readings for myself or other people that the cards cut to the essence of what’s going on in a person’s life. I believe this works by the principle of Unus Mundus, which is perhaps misspelled Latin for “One World.” Synchronicity is another way to think about it or, put another way, “As above, so below.” I hope I won’t be experiencing any dark nights of the soul in the near future, but I’m just shrugging if that’s indeed what’s on the horizon. Not much I can do about the unknown future. I can’t worry about something that may or may not happen just because I dreamed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home