Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Promoting my MFA Classmates

I noticed in the current issue of Poets & Writers (page 133 of the Jan/Feb 2006 issue) that a MFA classmate of mine is launching his first collection of poems. Joshua Poteat’s Ornithologies, winner of the 2004 Anhinga Prize for Poetry, is a book I plan to purchase later this week. Josh is an amazing poet. I encourage you to check out Anhinga Press’s web site and read what Mary Oliver said about him. You can also read some of his poems there.

Go to: http://www.anhinga.org/books/book_info.cfm?title=Ornithologies

This reminds me that a classmate a year behind me also has a book out. I believe it came out last year. Jon Pineda’s Birthmark won the Crab Orchard Award Series in Poetry. I liked his book very much and recommend it. It was very cool to read some of the poems and remember workshopping the earlier versions.

Check out: http://webdelsol.com/LITARTS/pineda/pineda.htm

1 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Blogger joshuapoteat said...

gerry huml! how the hell are you? thanks for the book plug. i need all the help i can get. i found your site by accident, and i had to register with blogger just to post a comment, so now i have a blog of which i refuse to post to. it will be the bestest empty blog ever.

you sound like you're doing well...married, publishing the poems, et al. i'm happy for you, man! email me perhaps so we don't have to make our joyous reunion public:
joshuapoteat@hotmail.com.

i'm trying to get a reading in charlottesville soon...if so, i hope you can make it.

take it easy old pal,

josh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home