Friday, October 06, 2006

Quick Update

Tomorrow I begin my week long writing retreat. I hope to get tons of things done.

I received a kind rejection from Puerto del Sol yesterday. The Assistant Editor took the time to compliment a couple of lines and the ending of my poem “Abandoned Texaco Station,” but she felt the rest of the lines didn’t live up to what was praiseworthy. I’ll look at the poem (yet again!) and consider revising it with her comments in mind. Puerto del Sol keeps commenting positively on what I send them, but they have yet to accept anything.

*

After one had abandoned a belief in God, poetry is that essence which takes its place as life’s redemption.

--Wallace Stevens


I became almost intoxicated by the idea of the line break. It seemed as if I were writing just to get to this point, this decision. But, although the line break is very important to me, I don’t really understand how I know when it is supposed to happen.

--John Ashbery

2 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Eduardo C. Corral said...

Here's to a productive week!

What colony are you at?

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Thanks, Eduardo. I applied to VCCA in Virginia, but that didn't work out, so I made my own arrangements to go to the Crystal Coast in NC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home