Friday, September 15, 2006

Sigh

I haven’t felt like blogging lately, probably because I feel dry creatively, but I keep working on revising and writing new poems anyway. I’ve also not done any work on the Joshua Poteat book review for about a week. At least my review’s second read and note taking is about 75% done at this point.

I stayed up late last night working on a batch of submissions. I’ll mail them after work today. Then it’s off to the gym.

I’ve been thinking about William Carlos Williams’ “no ideas but in things” and T. S. Eliot’s objective correlative. I would like to have more and better imagery in my poems. To me, fresh imagery seems to come from intense feeling or actually observing something and taking notes on it. With my 8 to 5 job I tend to use my rational mind a lot more than my intuition or feelings. I can also be lazy to tell rather than show.

Tomorrow I will go with my wife to her high school reunion. Both of us are hoping that we have an okay time.

I wish there were some movies out that I actually want to see. I’ve felt generally disappointed in the movies that are out for about the last six months. Netflix is a lifesaver!

I need something new in my life. I think a change would do me good to echo the song. Something like a new CD, trying a new restaurant--something to get me excited about life for a couple of days. I had performance appraisal training at work this morning and found myself enjoying it; it was a variation from the normal grind of the work week.

*

Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.

--Joseph Pulitzer

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Dee said...

re Joseph Pulitzer
that is the best quotation I have read in a long time. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Glad you liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home