Thursday, January 05, 2006

Acceptance Update and Favorite Words

I heard back from SLAB yesterday. One of the managing editors said I could cross through and initial anything in the acceptance contract that made me uncomfortable. I did that last night, and I mailed the acceptance contract this morning. I’ve already emailed SLAB my author bio, my answers to their eight questions (e.g., Favorite guilty pleasure? Who were you in a previous like? Worst film you paid to see?), gift subscription information, and a copy of my poem “Drive” in Word format. So, I should be all set. I haven’t been told officially what issue “Drive” will be in (think I’ll email them and ask), but I expect it will be out in the spring.

One of the eight SLAB questions was: Favorite word? My official answer was Bodhisattva. It was fun trying to come up with a favorite word (as if you can really pick just one). I ended up brainstorming a list of words and searching through my computer’s American Heritage Dictionary. It became addictive to list words, and my mind kept at it even after I stopped adding them to my list of possible choices. I noticed that a lot of words I like are polysyllabic Latinate words. I also noticed that there are a lot of scientific words that I like.

Here is my list of favorite words. Feel free, gentle readers, to leave a comment and list some of your favorite words. I’d love to see them.

Juggernaut
Concupiscence
Astronomy
Corona
Bodhisattva
Nimbus
Nimbostratus
Thunderhead
Midriff
Affectation
Philosophy
Ergo
Dialectic
Barrister
Apocrypha
Prismatic
Sigil
Clavicle
Equivalent
Egregious
Equilibrium
Effervescent
Equatorial
Impunity
Verdant
Venal
Foliage
Nubile
Magnanimous
Genius
Symmetry
Synthesis
Mitochondrion
Sphere
Vertebrae
Ammonium
Barium
Isotropic
Enzyme
Transmigration
Premonition

1 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

I tried to think of a whole list of words, but I couldn't. I have always said my favorite word is "periwinkle" and I'm gonna stick to that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home