Thursday, June 22, 2006

My new computer is up and running. My study is a mess with the old computer hardware on the floor. I suspect it won’t be long until I try one of those online games and waste hours of my life.

My new local poet friend and I traded poems and returned our comments to each other. I was relieved to see that poems that I think are pretty much done only seem to have a couple minor issues that I may want to correct. I enjoyed her poems. She tends to write shorter poems than I do, so I hope to learn something about economizing from her. We’ll probably chat on the phone this weekend about each other’s comments.

I worked on a new poem Tuesday that I think will be ready to show someone soon. This is one of two my poems inspired by a trip to Berlin and Dresden two years ago. This poem has been in my “in progress” file for some time, so I will be relieved when I feel that it is close to being done.

*

I teach you the superman. Man is something to be surpassed.

--Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


What I understand by “philosopher”: a terrible explosive in the presence of which everything is in danger.

--Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche


Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. 1844-1900. German philosopher who reasoned that Christianity's emphasis on the afterlife makes its believers less able to cope with earthly life. He argued that the ideal human being, the Ubermensch, would be able to channel passions creatively instead of suppressing them. His written works include Beyond Good and Evil (1886) and Thus Spake Zarathustra (1883-1892). --Nie“tzsche·an adj. & n.

2 Comments:

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

I do not know if it is online, but Roller Coaster Tycoon is cool. Like, cooler than 1million dollar space traveling.

A poem being born ---- I love it. Life is still living enough that poets want to record it. Good times.

Virginia, Ohio; we're practically neighbors. Honk your horn when you drive by. I'm just up the hill past the river. On the left.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

I once wrote a paper for a 19th Century History class entitled, "Nietzsche & the Clark Kent Experience." It was my attempt to put the Will to Power into perspective, and show how modern man is dependent upon models of power.

I find philosophy fascinating, but poetry a much better use of my time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home