Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Rolling Stones

The Rolling Stones perform tonight in Charlottesville at the University of Virginia’s Scott Stadium. Trey Anastasio, the former Phish frontman, is opening for The Stones. Hard to believe that we are getting world-class entertainment in this relatively small city in central Virginia. The Dave Matthews Band performs here now and then, but Dave Matthews is from this area. I think REM played here when they were more of a college band.

I’ve read that an army of 500 roadies has been in Charlottesville since Saturday building the massive set and seating area for the concert. Scott Stadium is expecting a crowd of about 55,000. There is a 70% chance of rain tonight, but the rain should be intermittent. I hope it doesn’t rain tonight at all or rains very little.

The concert has been the talk of the town for the last week. The Hook, one of our entertainment weekly newspapers, devoted nearly an entire issue to the concert and issues surrounding it. I’m not a big Stones fan, and I’m not going to the concert. However, I’ll be very curious to see how it all turns out and if this is the start of making Charlottesville a major concert venue.

I think concert tickets are ridiculously expensive. Stones tickets were going for $100 to $350 each. I remember going to some concerts when I was in high school and paying around $40. I’d have to practically worship a band to want to pay today’s concert prices.

I bought some Starbucks coffee on Tuesday. It’s official now. Their French Roast coffee is my favorite out of their regular offerings. I like the Komodo Dragon coffee as a distant second. I tried their Anniversary Blend last month, and it is pretty good. You have to be careful not too scoop too much coffee in, or the Anniversary Blend comes out nasty. My absolute all time favorite Starbucks coffee is the 2004 Special Reserve Coffee I had last year. Man, I still have fantasies about how good that was! It prompted me to e-mail Starbucks corporate and tell them how much I liked it. I received an e-mail back from a Starbucks employee thanking me for my comment, and he said how much the staff in his department liked it as well. I got the sense that they will probably bring out a 2005 Special Reserve. All the coffees mentioned above are considered bold coffees. I’m a bold kind of guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home