Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Poetry Contests

Over the last few days I’ve been kicking around the idea of trying poetry contests again. I entered three of them about two years ago, and nothing came of it. I think that I have stronger worker now, and I’m really getting the hang of revision. So, I did some research and came up with a list of contests to consider. I figure I’ll limit my number of contest entries to a total of $40 in entrance fees and see what happens. One of the contests I’m interested in has a deadline of January 20th, so I scrambled last night to get my submission together. I mailed the contest submission just a little while ago. The next contest I’m interested in doesn’t have a deadline until mid-February, so I can relax a bit on that front.

I’m still planning to submit to some more literary magazines later this month. I’ve narrowed my list of potentials down and checked their latest submission guidelines online.

I learned today that my poem “Drive” will appear in the first issue of SLAB. The contributor copies will be mailed in April. I’ll be curious to read what they did with my responses to their ten questions. Will they use all of them or some of them? I tried to be funny or bizarre in my answers.

*
Some Literary Publications I Try to Read Regularly:

The Writer’s Chronicle (from AWP)
Poets & Writers
Gulf Coast
Crazyhorse
The National Poetry Review

The New Yorker (though I’ve let my subscription lapse, can’t read them fast enough before the next one comes)
Whatever literary magazines are in the bookstores I frequent

5 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Kelli Russell Agodon - Book of Kells said...

Congrats!

Slab was previously Ginger Hill right? Great magazine!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Yes, that's right. They are discontinuing Ginger Hill and starting SLAB.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Thanks for stopping by and letting me know, Jason.

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Steven D. Schroeder said...

Ninth Letter does the "ask the contributor questions" thing too, though I guess it's nine questions, naturally.

I also try to enter a few contests, but a very few, so as not to spend too much money. In 2005, I entered a Columbine Poets of Colorado state chapbook contest, the Nemerov Sonnet Award, and contests by The National Poetry Review, Smartish Pace, and Mid-American Review. I like to enter journal contests where you get a subscription or free copy as part of entry. So far I totally lost two, won one, and have yet to hear back on two.

Whoops, I forgot I also quite foolishly entered one book contest my manuscript was not ready for. Ah well.

Steve

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

I too prefer to enter contests where you get a subscription or copy of the journal as part of your entry fee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home