Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Looks like I am set to go to my aunt’s condo in North Carolina in October for a week. The plan is to work from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM on my poetry manuscript each day and have the nights to do whatever I want.

The premier issue of SLAB should be coming out any day now. I’m looking forward to seeing my poem “Drive” in print.

*

There’s a certain anthology of Virginia poets that I was flipping through the other day at a bookstore. I think it is inappropriate for the editors of an anthology to include their work own in the anthology. I also found who they included as “Virginia poets” to be a bit of a stretch. One poet in particular was neither born nor had lived a significant part of his life in Virginia. He just taught for a year (maybe two) at a Virginia university teaching creative writing then moved on. I found myself wondering how objective the inclusion criteria were applied. The list of poets seemed like a list of friends who all teach creative writing and know each other. To be included, you had to have at least one book of poems published, have been born in Virginia or lived in Virginia for a significant portion of your life (seems vague and pretty open to interpretation), and be actively participating in the Virginia poetry community.

*

Random musing from my caffeine high on 4/16/06:

Did you know that wedding bands are magical Rings of Warding? They don’t always work, but I’d say they work 90% of the time. They ward off romantic interest from others.

1 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

That sounds pretty hokey to me. Am I wrong to think that there's still some integrity in the poetry world? Geez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home