Friday, March 31, 2006

100th Post!

I’m pretty much over the VCCA thing now. I’m leaning towards putting myself on the waiting list. I notified the two people who wrote my letters of recommendation about the VCCA decision. They both feel for me and offered me some insights and encouragement to not let it bother me. One of them indicated that at some artist colonies certain artists may have a friend or friends on the artist colony decision panel, and so they get in whenever they apply. I think this practice is highly unethical and unfair. Basically, both recommenders said to me that artist colonies get tons of applications from very talented and creative people, and so they have to turn away many qualified applicants. They also said that there can be a myriad of reasons behind a decision such as conflicting requested dates.

I may apply again to the VCCA, or I may look into other artist colonies. I don’t remember seeing any that are nearby when I did some research online. Ideally, I wouldn’t want to travel beyond West Virginia, Maryland, or North Carolina.

I have a few newly revised poems that I think are ready to go out into the world. I’ll probably send out some submissions on Monday.

3 Comments:

At 2:42 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Good luck with the VCCA thing. I was thinking of applying for a residency next winter but I don't think I have the qualifications. By the way, where could I read some of your work?

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Thanks, Rebecca. Well, I've been published in the following: Wisconsin Review, Terminus, Phantasmagoria, and South Dakota Review. I have a poem forthcoming in SLAB out of the University of PA at Slippery Rock. I could email you a few poems if you’d like. It looks like your email address in listed on your blog. Let me know if you want me to email you some poems.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Absolutely, email away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home