Friday, June 23, 2006

I Feel Good

I feel very upbeat and optimistic about my life today. I’m not sure if it’s all the sunny weather we’ve been having in this part of Virginia (though it’s been hot as Hades with stifling humidity). It could be that I’m in one of the calmer periods of my work cycles at work. I’ve also had some time off from work lately. It could be the excitement of having a new computer. I guess I’ll just enjoy the feeling and try not to over analyze it.

This week my wife and I watched a good movie that she ordered through Netflix. The movie was Blink with Madeline Stowe doing an amazing acting job as the main character Emma. Emma was blinded by her mother when she was eight. Twenty years later she receives eye transplants and is plunged into a strange world of wavy faces, bright lights, hallucinations, etc. as her brain tries to adjust to seeing again. Then a girl is murdered in the apartment above Emma’s, and Emma believes she encountered the murderer leaving the scene couldn’t see him clearly. Enter a Chicago detective who believes he is after a serial killer and needs Emma’s help to catch him despite Emma being an unreliable witness. I didn’t do justice to the groundwork of the plot, but you get the idea. The plot is pretty good, though I balked a bit over Emma and the detective becoming romantically interested in each other. The best aspect of this movie though is the dialogue. Very clever, funny, and almost always interesting. Emma is a strong woman comfortable in her sexuality, and she is very perceptive, confrontational, and sharp-tongued. She meets her match in the detective. I also loved the Irish music in the movie. Emma is a musician who plays the violin in a band called The Drovers.

*

God is dead: but considering the state the species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown.

--Nietzsche


Morality is the herd-instinct in the individual.

--Nietzsche


The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously.

--Nietzsche

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

--Nietzsche

The thought of suicide is a great source of comfort: with it a calm passage is to be made across many a bad night.

--Nietzsche

Master-morality and slave-morality.

--Nietzsche

3 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Glad that everything is going well with you.

Those are some interesting quotes you've got going on today. Clearly, Nietzsche wasn't exactly a mirthful guy, eh?

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

I love reading when people are happy. Happy words makes happy bloggers. It's like a yawn; everyone catches it. I think.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Rebecca, LOL, that's an understatement about Nietzsche.

Montgomery, I hope that's true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home