Friday, July 21, 2006

Pictures from My March 2006 Trip to Rome

Yeah, I know it's four months later, but Blogger is actually working for me on this try. Hopefully, more pictures forthcoming.





*

Writing, I feel, is an art; and artists, I feel are human beings. As a human being stands, so a human being is.

--E. E. Cummings

*

The earth has many keys

The earth has many keys.
Where melody is not
Is the unknown peninsula.
Beauty is nature’s fact.

But witness for her land,
And witness for her sea,
The cricket is her utmost
Of elegy to me.

--Emily Dickinson

*

Cassius Hueffer

They have chiseled upon my stone the words:
“His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed him
That nature might stand up and say to all the world,
This was a man.”
Those who knew me smile
As they read this empty rhetoric.

My epitaph should have been:
“Life was not gentle to him,
And the elements so mixed in him
That he made warfare on life,
In the which he was slain.”
While I lived I could not cope with slanderous tongues,
Now that I am dead I must submit to an epitaph
Graven by a fool!

--Edgar Lee Masters, from Spoon River Anthology

2 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Wow, those are beautiful pictures. I'm jealous.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

breathtaking... I have always wanted to visit the colliseum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home