Friday, June 30, 2006

Things are better with my wife. We talked it out last night, but we are not exactly warm and fuzzy towards each other yet. It is work to be in a relationship. It forces you to stretch, grow, and acknowledge perhaps unflattering aspects about yourself.

My new local poet friend sent me and e-mail today after reading my blog and said this:

Couples fight about money, sex, drugs, attention/time and where it's spent, relatives, styles in raising children (and pets -- does the dog sleep on the bed? Yes.), sharing household chores/errands. This list reminds me why I live alone!

That last sentence made me laugh!

I’m feeling exhausted when it comes to writing poetry. I have so much left to do on my book manuscript, and the project seems so daunting. I’ve been holding at about 60% of a manuscript that I feel good about. The poems that I’m working on now all have unique and maddening problems that I have to solve. They are also ambitious poems, and I have a certain standard that must be met before I feel that I can put the poem away and consider it finished (finished at least until I look at all of the manuscript as a whole). On top of all of this I want to complete everything by the end of the year. With the way I’m feeling now, I may have to back off that deadline and give myself some space to recharge. Maybe I should just read poetry, poetic theory, and relax instead of writing for awhile. I’ve been afraid of doing just that because I will get out of the habit of writing regularly.


*

If the camel once gets his nose in a tent, his body will soon follow.

--Arabian proverb



Recent Fortune Cookie Fortunes:

You have an ability to sense and know a higher truth.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

Many a false step is made by standing still.

1 Comments:

At 3:12 AM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

One of my recent fortune cookies: "You have the urge and the ability for major accomplishments."

True. At least the urge part.

Keep writing, sir.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home