Monday, July 03, 2006

Moon Dream

I dreamed this morning that I was walking between grassy rolling hills at night. I hiked up one of the hills and instantly became confused. It seemed as though sunrise and came early because it was so suddenly bright in the sky. The moon was so bright and close that it illuminated the sky the way the sun does shortly after dawn. I then felt like something gave me a great push, and I could observe myself in third person with some short of a glowing symbol over my head as I fell to the ground. The symbol looked like a slightly twisting number one or some short of Arabic letter. After I hit the ground I felt like I was a computer receiving huge amounts astronomy data with bunches of different ratios and formulas concerning the moon. The dream felt like a divine revelation or vision.

*

My local poet friend and I discussed our exchanged poems last night. She asked me for a list of poets that I think she might like to read. I sent her the following:

Probably Good Matches for You:
Frank X. Gaspar - Night of a Thousand Blossoms (a very spiritual, meditative, lyrical book)
Li-Young Lee - Book of My Nights and/or The City in Which I Love You
R.T. Smith - Brightwood (I think of him as being a Southern poet.)
Stephen Dunn - New & Selected Poems

Recommended Craft Books
Richard Hugo - The Trigger Town
Miller Williams - Patterns of Poetry

International
Rilke- Duino Elegies
Rumi - translations by Coleman Barks

Good First Books
Joshua Poteat - Ornithologies (a VCU MFA classmate of mine)
Jon Pineda - Birthmark (A VCU MFA classmate of mine)
Jeannine Hall Gailey - Becoming the Villainess (fellow blogger, book uses female mythology and comic book characters as a lens to comment on the condition of women, a highly readable page turner)

Other Poet Possibilities
Norman Dubie - Groom Falconer
Philip Levine - What Work Is
David St. John - Study for the World's Body
Jack Gilbert - The Great Fires
T.R. Hummer - Walt Whitman in Hell
Galway Kinnell - Walking Down the Stairs (interviews, essays)

2 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

Justin and I have been having weird dreams too. Something in the air, maybe.

Mind if I borrow some of your suggested reading? I'm trying to cram as much poetry as possible into my brain and some of these sound good.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Please do, Rebecca.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home