Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Another One

I was given the slip yesterday by The Chattahoochee Review. As with Crazyhorse, it was a form rejection inviting me to submit future work but with no ink from the editors. At least I am hearing back from places now.

Strange. Last night when I went into my Excel submission tracking spreadsheet, I happened to have saved the document last on the row of The Chattahoochee Review.

I’m going to show my age with this one. I wish when I was an undergraduate student that we had laptops, cell phones, MP3 players, and most especially Starbucks. I would have loved to be able to go to Starbucks and study instead of studying in my room or going to the library. Plus, it would have been a place to go prior to being age 21 since I did not have a fake ID. Hell, today you can even scan into your computer text from a book using an electronic highlighter. Sigh. You kids have no idea how good you have it/had it. In my day I had to walk 5 miles uphill, both ways, with newspapers for shoes just to go to class. One day I even had to kill a bear with my 5.25 inch floppy disk.

*

All animals, except man, know that the principal business of life is to enjoy it.

--Samuel Butler


The advantage of doing one’s own praising for oneself is that one can lay it on so thick and exactly in the right places.

--Samuel Butler


All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.

--Samuel Butler


The history of art is the history of revivals.

--Samuel Butler


An apology for the Devil: It must be remembered that we have only heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.

--Samuel Butler

5 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Blogger writingblind said...

"One day I even had to kill a bear with my 5.25 inch floppy disk."

That's priceless.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Montgomery Maxton said...

What's a floppy disk? ;)

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

Wow! You got something back from Chattahoochie? How long did it take to hear back from them? I am going on 36 weeks. Of course I was warned by Steve S. it would be a long time.

Old, eh? Do you remember the blus screen of Word Perfect and the one font choice, courier? Hell, I remember Apple IIc's in High school, and actual IBM computers. My frind had a Vic 64 and a cassette tape drive! That's old.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Gerald Huml said...

Rebecca, Montgomery, and Justin: LOL!

Justin, my first computer ever was a Commodore Vic 20, and it did have a tape drive. To make the computer do anything at all, you had to know Basic and program the computer yourself. Now that's old!

I mailed my submission to Chattahoochee on 4/4/06. Should I feel honored?

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Justin Evans said...

I dunno. but I am experiencing a lot of awol subs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home