Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I often begin writing a poem with a collection of odd notations that have come out of conversations, dreams, overheard remarks on the street…. Very often I throw out these beginning notes once I’ve finished the poem; but again they are devices which enable me to get at something I don’t already know. I can’t tell you why a certain overheard remark seems significant and another one doesn’t except that when I’m in a state of attentiveness, waiting to write a poem, I can tell intuitively what’s going to help me write it and what isn’t.

--John Ashbery

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I write in the pub, not the library, because the overheard remarks are better. My favourite is: "His problem was his brains went to his head". There's nothing truer than that.

Poetry Politics and Piracy
http://judaspenrose.blogspot.com

 
At 11:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great info..


business credibility

 

Post a Comment

<< Home